FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
COLUMBUS, GEORGIA, January 29, 2018—Calvary Christian School (CCS) held a winter pep rally on Friday, January 26, 2018. During the pep rally, a new spirit stick (sword) was presented to the school by the former Headmaster, Mr. Len McWilliams a.k.a. “Mr. Mac.” This spirit stick is used during pep rallies and awarded to the school with the most school spirit during the pep rally. The spirit stick will also be used symbolically for other grand achievements throughout the school year.
McWilliams was asked a few months ago if he would make a new spirit stick since the current spirit stick was looking shopworn. He set about creating a new spirit stick that is truly a work of art.
The CCS Spirit Sword is made from materials from several sources:
- The blade is made from the oldest tree on the Calvary Christian School property (approximately 75 years) that was cut down when construction for the football field began. David Pittman, Calvary alumni parent and member of Calvary Baptist Church, took the tree to the sawmill and provided the lumber to the school and church.
- The handle guard and the handle are made from old wooden block materials that are no longer used in Preschool.
- The cap on the end of the handle is walnut that came from former Calvary Christian School high school English teacher, Marti Ahlman’s, late husband, Al.
- The medallions on the top of the blade were retirement gifts given to Len McWilliams at the time of his retirement in 2014. The CCS crest came from former Headmaster, Ricky Smith, and the “whole armor” knight came from David Aguirre, a long time maintenance employee for the church and school.
- The green tassel on the handle is worn at Calvary Christian School’s high school graduation. The gold cord is an honor cord for seniors with a 3.75 GPA. Both items signify academic achievement of our graduates.
Calvary Christian School is a K3-12th grade school and offers the following: biblical instruction; challenging, non-common core academics; AP and Honor classes; dual enrollment; fine arts; a full athletic program; extra-curricular activities; weekly chapel; and before and after school care. CCS has a full-time onsite school nurse. Our family environment includes faculty with a love for Christ and teaching. All teachers hold degrees and are certified with many having master’s degrees or higher.
Since 1975, Calvary Christian School has been Teaching the Whole Child the Whole Truth. An ACSI and AdvancED/SACS accredited K3-12th grade school, CCS’s faculty and staff are dedicated to providing real resources for spiritual, academic, social and physical growth for our students in a nurturing and supportive environment. As our school facilities grow, we continue to offer unparalleled opportunities. For more information about Calvary Christian School, visit CalvaryKnights.com, call 706.323.0467 or visit during Open House held each Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
SpiritStickpressrelease (Download pdf version of complete press release)