Beginning leadership and impacting the future.
Elementary school at Calvary provides students with a sound preparation for higher education. Emphasis continues to be placed on instruction in a Christian environment, which begins in our Early Eduation Department. Elementary teachers strive to foster a supportive atmosphere giving students the opportunity to develop independence and self-confidence while challenging them to think critically and to solve problems. Consideration is given to the development and nurture of the whole child — spiritually, academically, physically, emotionally, and socially.
• The BIBLE, God’s Word to man, is the grid through which all learning is viewed. The curriculum offers a biblically integrated approach recognizing that all truth is God’s truth and that the whole child must be taught the whole truth. The Bible is woven into the daily curriculum to help children understand and apply scriptural truths within their own lives. Daily Bible instruction, prayer, Scripture memorization, weekly chapel services, and positive adult Christian role models all help each child seek and develop a growing relationship with God.
• LANGUAGE ARTS are organized around the principle that language is the key to learning. In the lower elementary grades, students learn to read through systematic phonics instruction. The aim of rigorous grammar instruction is correctness and clarity in communication. Students are regularly exposed to wholesome literature that compliments the character building emphasis of the school.
• The MATH CURRICULUM is designed to build a strong foundation in basic math facts and skills in order to progress to higher forms of mathematics. Students use manipulative materials and problem solving techniques that give real meaning to mathematics.
• The SCIENCE program is designed to develop a sense of curiosity, wonder, and enthusiasm about God’s wonderful creations in a variety of science areas. Children are encouraged to develop a sense of the processes inherent in scientific study.
• The SOCIAL STUDIES program encourages students to be historically informed, globally aware, and responsible active citizens. The goal is for students to gain a sense of God’s working in history.
• FOREIGN LANGUAGE is focused on teaching Spanish to our elementary students. An emphasis on the sounds of the language and exposure to the cultures of Spanish speaking countries fosters an appreciation for foreign language and people of diverse backgrounds.
• The TECHNOLOGY program emphasizes the computer as a valuable learning tool that enables students to expand traditional methods of learning. Computer classes integrate classroom studies while students develop skills in keyboarding, word processing, and research.
• Other subject specialists encourage students in the areas of music, library use, art, and physical education. These subjects are also treated as an integral part of each child’s overall educational development.
• Students are encouraged and afforded opportunities in a Christ-centered environment to develop skills essential for life-long learning. These skills include problem solving, clear and creative thinking, contributing to the community, producing quality work, and communicating effectively.
Clubs and Organizations offered to elementary students:
- Choral Club
- Craft Club
- Elementary Praise Team
- History Club
- Math and Science Club (also offered to Kindergarten students)
- Pep Club
- Foreign Language Club (also offered to Kindergarten students)
- STEM Club (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathmatics)
- Technology Club